COMM 4800 Course Description
The department's student internship program is designed to provide you with practical training and an opportunity to use the skills you are developing in your Communication Studies courses. It is also a chance for UNT to show the community the quality of students we have on campus. Thus, as you participate in the program you should always remember that you are not only selling yourself, but you are representing the department and the university as well. Many students are offered full-time positions based on the success of their internship experiences.
Steps to receive credit for an internship with the COMM department:
- You must be a COMM major with a COMM GPA and Cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher to qualify for an internship. You must also be a junior or senior by credits.
- Then, you must secure an internship before submitting an application with the COMM department
- You can find internship opportunities by yourself or filter through some options here: List of COMM Internships and UNT Internships
- Fill out the Internship Application and drop it off in the COMM Main Office (GAB 309A)
- Begin working with the company and fulfilling the requirements of the internship, listed below:
- Work a minimum 150 hours for an organization.
- Keep a journal of time and work duties (this will be turned in to Dr. O'Connor)
- Write a paper about the organization you will be working for (also turned into Dr. O'Connor).
- You and Dr. O'Connor will discuss a topic of your paper after you gain some experience working with the organization.
- Near the end of the internship, your supervisor needs to provide feedback on your efforts.
- Based upon the journal, paper, and supervisor evaluation, you will receive a letter grade, e.g. A, B, etc., for the internship course. You need to turn in your paper and journal during final week of the semester you enrolled for internship.
Deadlines to sign up for the internship course are the same as those for regular courses, for a schedule of these deadlines please visit the registrar website
If you have any questions about the internship application or process, please reach out to Dr. O'Connor at Erin.O'Connor@unt.edu.