Advising FAQ's | Communication Studies

Advising FAQ's

1. How do I become a COMM major?

  • Becoming a COMM major is a great choice to help you prepare for jobs in the 21st Century workplace! Check out our undergraduate studies page to see if COMM is right for you!
  • If you would like to be a major, schedule an appointment through Navigate.

2. How do I become a COMM minor?

  • In order to be a communication studies minor, you must take 18 hours of COMM courses including 6 hours of advanced coursework. You also must follow prerequisites for your courses.
  • If you'd like to be a COMM minor, make sure to schedule an appointment with one of our advisors on Navigate to help plan your courses.

3. Which advisor should I see?

  • If you are a student who is a Freshman, needs advising codes, on academic probation, an integrative studies major, or COMM minor, schedule an appointment with one of our advisors on Navigate.
  • If you need general COMM advising, schedule an appointment with one of our advisors on Navigate.
  • For any students who need advising at any time, schedule an appointment with a College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences advisor by calling (940) 565-2051.

4. Where do I find a list of classes?

5. Where can I find my Online Degree audit?

6. When do I do my official degree audit?

  • Your offical degree audit will be done during the semester you take COMM 3010- Communication Perspectives. Our advisors will post when your appointment is scheduled, via the 3010 Canvas page.

7. What classes can I take concurrently with COMM 3010?

  • You can take ONLY one other COMM course. Your options are:
    • 1. Take your last 2000 level COMM class OR
    • 2. You may take one specific upper-level course approved by a COMM advisor*
      • *Your advisor will have to manually add you to the upper-level course you choose

8. What is a graduation check and when should I do it?

  • A graduation check is where a College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences advisor will make sure that you've done the coursework required to be ready to graduate. It should be done the first semester of your senior year of college. Click here for College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences advising information!

9. How do I apply for graduation?

Congratulations on graduating! Here are the steps to apply for graduation:

  1. Login to MyUNT and from the Student Center click on the "Apply for Graduation" link in the Other Academic dropdown
  2. Verify your program, degree, and major
  3. Select your anticipated graduation term
  4. Enter your name as you would like it to appear on your diploma and in the commencement program
  5. Verify/update your mailing address
  6. Check your UNT email for a confirmation that your application has been received
  7. Check your UNT email frequently for updates as your application is reviewed and processed

10. Can I take classes at another college while at UNT?

11. Can I get credit for an internship?

  • Absolutely! Click here for more information on COMM 4800 - Communication Studies Internship!

12. Can I study abroad?

  • Indeed! We often offer study abroad opportunities through the COMM department during the summer.
  • If you plan on studying abroad with another program, speak to one of our advisors on Navigate for approval to receive COMM credit.