The Department of Communication Studies conducts holistic reviews in making admissions decisions. In examining application materials, we seek a positive indication of potential success in the program. As such, we have no mandatory minimum GPA or GRE requirements to be considered for admission.
Given the interdisciplinary nature the work done in our department, we welcome applications from students who did not major in communication as undergraduates. Applicants with fewer than 24 hours of undergraduate communication coursework may request admission on the basis of communication-related courses or experience.
Our application deadlines are rolling and we accept applications throughout each semester; however, we encourage early applications. The department has a limited number of available openings in the program and an even more limited number of assistantships to award each semester. Applications received by the deadlines indicated below receive priority consideration. International applicants should follow the deadlines provided by the Toulouse International Admissions office.
Fall semesters: Application review for Fall admissions begins January 15, and continues until available openings are filled.
Spring semesters: Application review for Spring admissions begins August 1, and continues until available openings are filled.
Required Application Materials
Completed applications require the following two parts with a total of 6 items listed below.
Items 1-2 submitted directly to the Toulouse Graduate School and items 3-6 submitted directly to the Department of Communication Studies.
We cannot consider incomplete applications. If you have any questions about the following requirements, please contact our department directly at COMMStudies@unt.edu.
Part 1: Toulouse Graduate School: tgs.unt.edu.
1. Online Application: Submit your online application through the ApplyTexas website. Graduate School application fee is due at the time of application. The application fee is $75 and is nonrefundable.
2. Transcripts: Please submit official transcripts from all colleges and universities that you have attended directly to the Toulouse Graduate School (mailing information below).
Please note: If your undergraduate degree is from UNT, you don't need to submit transcripts -- the Toulouse graduate school will access them directly.
Non-UNT graduates should send transcripts directly to the Toulouse Graduate School via the U.S. Postal Service or UPS/Federal Express. Please note that addresses differ depending on the method selected:
U.S. Postal Service
UNT Graduate School
1155 Union Circle #305459
Denton, TX 76203-5017
UNT Graduate School
1147 Union Circle, ESSC 354
Denton, TX 76203-5459
Part 2: Submit the following application materials directly to the Department of Communication Studies via e-mail: CommStudies@unt.edu.
3. Application Letter: In addition to indicating the semester and year you would like to enter the program, your letter of application that conveys your purpose in pursuing a graduate degree at UNT in Communication Studies (specifically addressing your research interests), experiences that have served as a foundation for graduate work in Communication Studies, and how pursing a graduate degree in our department will aid in your professional plans and/or career aspirations. If you would like to be considered for a Teaching Assistantship, this letter should also include a paragraph that indicates your relevant work or academic experience and how serving as a TA would fit into your professional goals.
4. Current résumé or vita: Please focus your résumé or vita on the following areas of experience (as applicable):
•Previous work experience (highlighting skills relevant to pursuing a master's degree and/or serving as a Teaching Assistant)
•Publications, performances, exhibitions, conference presentations, or other scholarly activities
•Previous research experience (large-scale course projects, serving as a Research Assistant, etc.)
•Involvement in community and extra curricular activities
5. Two Letters of Recommendation: We ask that you submit 2 signed letters of recommendation from individuals familiar with your academic and/or professional abilities. At least one letter must be from a professor. One letter may be submitted by a current or past employer, though academic references are preferred. Letter writers should submit their letters directly to the department via mail (listed below) or as an email attachment sent to: COMMStudies@unt.edu.
Mailing Address: (USPS mail)
Department of Communication Studies
1155 Union Circle #305268
Denton, TX 76203-5268
6. Academic Writing Sample: Please submit an essay or writing sample from a upper-level undergraduate course or honor's thesis. The writing sample needs to demonstrate your proficiency at conducting and reporting research, including clear use of cited academic research that follows an appropriate style guide (e.g., APA, MLA, or Chicago).
In addition to the specific materials listed above, the department may consider an applicant's potential to enhance the intellectual diversity of the program, to enhance the diversity of the program or university, and/or other factors that might provide evidence of potential success in the graduate program in Communication Studies.
International Student Admissions
International applicants should consult with the Toulouse office of International Admissions for more specific information related to application deadlines recommended for I-20 processing, if admitted.
The Toulouse office of International Admissions requires international transcripts to be provided in both English and your native language, if applicable. English translations must be from either the academic institution or a certified translator. They accept notarized or copied transcripts from foreign schools only for processing your application. If admitted, original and official documents will be required before you can register for classes.
English Language Proficiency
UNT degree program applicants must demonstrate English Language Proficiency. Minimum TOEFL score requirement is 79; Minimum IELTS score is 6.5; Minimum PTE score is 53. UNT-International provides a complete list of ways to demonstrate English language proficiency.